Stacymeyer1

Lapband with having a previous pulmonary embolism

Am wondering if having had a PE 5 months ago due to the nurva ring and being a smoker ( I have quit both since) will I be considered a at risk patient for blood clots.I have no family history of blood clots. And how long before surgery do I have to be smoke free? I don't ever plan to start again just want to make sure enough time has went by already:)

Dear Stacymeyer1,

Let your surgeon know about your recent pulmonary embolism and the NuvaRing. He or she will take your history and decide if any additional studies are needed to determine if you have a tendency to form blood clots now that you no longer use the NuvaRing. Most surgeons administer preventative anticoagulation at the time of weight loss surgery. He or she will determine how much to give and how long to continue the medication based on your history and any other testing that may be indicated.

You should stop smoking at least 6 weeks prior to surgery to clear your lungs effectively. Some people develop more secretions in the first few weeks after quitting, so waiting a little longer allows the inflammation from the smoking to completely settle down.

Dr. Callery

From Wikipedia:

"NuvaRing is the trade name for a combined hormonal contraceptive vaginal ring manufactured by Merck (formerly Schering-Plough, formerly Organon) that is available by prescription. It is a flexible plastic (ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer) ring that releases a low dose of a progestin and estrogen over three weeks. It is currently used by approximately 1.5 million women worldwide.[2]

A recent study found that users of vaginal rings with ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel have a 6.5 times increased risk of venous thrombosis compared to non-users.[3] This is commensurate to the risk of thrombosis due to the use of combined oral contraceptive pills, which in studies ranged between 2.9 times to 13.7 times the risk.[4]"