createchange

TT, Breast lift and reduction-update

Hello All. I had my tummy tuck, breast lift, and reduction on Dec 12. It went really well! I thought I'd take folks through my experience because everyone's is different and it is nice to know that there are some really easy ones out there :)

I had a consultation in October. I had stabilized weight wise, having some back issues and some issues with rashes. A friend got me in with a very good plastic surgeon for a consult. I had to get undressed down to my panties and they took photos. I told them I was interested in a tummy tuck and maybe a breast lift if it would help with the rashes I was having. My insurance doesn't cover plastics at all, so I knew regardless of the circumstances, I'd be paying out of pocket. The doctor suggested a tummy tuck with a breast lift and either a reduction or implants (I was very uneven). I was not interested at all in implants...they don't last forever and I have enough medical issues with ongoing maintenance...plus I have never been a big fan of my big boobs. He told me my arms and legs were good and he wouldn't touch them...if in another year or two I still had concerns, he'd consider it, but not at this time. I liked that he said no to that. 

I had my surgery on Dec 12 so I could take off work until the first of the year. I did outpatient at a surgical center. The staff was great and although I am hard to get an IV into, they had enough staff to pull in the "big guns" and get me set up. I paid extra for a nerve block...I didn't realize it wasn't included in the estimated cost, but it was well worth the extra $200. The surgeon marked me up and we went into the OR. I remember joking about a margarita and then I woke up in recovery with a binder on my belly and a really ugly bra on. The surgery took 4 hours. Yikes! But no complications or issues. They removed 5 pounds of skin from my belly.

After about 2 hours in recovery, they allowed me to walk to my car. My husband drove me to my mom's house so I could use the recliner to sleep in the first night...I was told no stairs for 24 hours. The ride was more bumpy then it normally feels but I was groggy and it didn't really hurt. I kept up on my pain meds every 4 hours. I needed 2-3 crackers with them or my stomach would get upset. And I was really scared of vomiting or dumping. I also took anti-nausea meds.  Peeing was the hardest part the first 24 hours. Getting down and up was fine, didn't hurt, but the drains and binding made it hard to navigate.  I had one of those things to pee standing up but it was too much of a hassle...I spilled it once and gave up!

The next morning, I went home to my own bed, upstairs. I had regular pillows to prop me up and did just fine. They told me to try and use my core to get up and down, so I did. Mostly sleep and rest for the first 4 days. I stopped taking pain pills after three days. 

Then I was bored out of my mind and went to my first check up. All was well. Dr. said I was a badass because I didn't need help getting up on the table or from the laying down position. He also said I had massive abs that were really spread! I need to remember to thank my trainer. I wore a pullover sweatshirt and sweat pants. I didn't have any issues getting regular clothes on and off. Not form fitting of course, but the way people talked I'd be wearing yoga pants and button down shirts for weeks.  They took my drains out and I went shopping for a chirstmas party outfit. 

At a week post op I went to a 4 hour long christmas party in heels. I felt fine. 

By two weeks post op, I was doing everything at home except vaccuuming, putting away anything over my head, or lifting more than 10 pounds. 

By three weeks I was full on back to normal activity wise. They took my stitches out and cleared me to exercise, drive, everything (yes, even sex...which feels weird when you are still a little numb!) 

My stomach is still swollen. My breasts are still bruised. Otherwise I feel great. I have a hard time when I look in the mirror. I look very different without clothes on. I just went from a 34DDD to a 34C. My size 4 pants fit and I don't have to tuck any belly into them. I look fierce in my running tights too :)

I am happy to answer questions. People here were so nice and helpful. I'd be  honored to pay it forward.

Congrats!  Sounds like you had a great experience and are well on your way to healing.

I would say just take it easy, and don't do too much too soon.  Rest up!

Congratulations! So excited for you!

Congrats!!! Did you have your muscle plicated with the tummy tuck? Your recovery sounds so easy and quick. Continued good healing!

Congrats!!! Did you have your muscle plicated with the tummy tuck? Your recovery sounds so easy and quick. Continued good healing!

I did, the dr. laced up those ab muscles for me. Thank you for the well wishes. 

I did, the dr. laced up those ab muscles for me. Thank you for the well wishes. 

My recovery from the TT was tough. I am glad to hear that you are having a relatively easy time of it. And enjoy that new flat tummy and perky breasts!

What type of reduction did you have--anchor or short scar/vertical? How long did your swelling take to dissipate? Did you notice a lot of change/reshaping of your breasts in the first few months? I had panniculectomy/reduction Feb 18. I am over the moon happy with my new tummy but really regretting my reduction. They are uneven and very oddly shaped and looks like two different surgeons worked on me. Started out a 34h, tried bras on yesterday..still fitting 34ddd! I wish I had never done it. Can't stop crying.

I had a vertical and the swelling took a while to go down. I would say a good 10-12 weeks before I settled into the C/D cup I wear now. I started out very uneven and settled into a much more uniform size too. I think time will help. On the other hand, I had a revision for my tummy tuck because the scar was uneven and left ridges. It really bugged me and sweat would pool in the ridge and give me a rash when I worked out. My surgeon said to give it about year to heal and then he would fix it if it needed to be fixed. I had the revision in January and love the results. I didn't have to pay for his time, as this was included in my initial fees that I would be satisfied. Maybe inquire with your surgeon what remedy he or she will offer if after you heal, you are still uneven. 

That makes me feel better! I'm trying to stay hopeful. I just look so strange from the side. I don't like the shape at all. 

My breast lift left me with weirdly banana shaped boobs that pointed out to the sides. I hated them and cried. However after the tissues settled they then looked very pretty. Just have some patience and give it time. Good luck!

On 3/14/2016 at 6:09 AM, ccma said:

That makes me feel better! I'm trying to stay hopeful. I just look so strange from the side. I don't like the shape at all. 

Try to be patient. It takes a while for everything to settle.

I am also looking into having a TT and breast lift/implants. When I went in for my consultation, I felt very comfortable with the surgeon. He was the first person that I actually met with, the first surgeon that I was to meet with was 90 minutes behind and I ended up having to cancel my appointment. I didn't get a good vibe from his office, so I never rescheduled. So, I really liked this doc and office, but upon receiving the price list, the total for the two procedures was $25,200!!! This price seems awfully high to me, do you mind sharing what you paid for your procedure? And congratulations by the way! 

4 minutes ago, Birdkey26 said:

I am also looking into having a TT and breast lift/implants. When I went in for my consultation, I felt very comfortable with the surgeon. He was the first person that I actually met with, the first surgeon that I was to meet with was 90 minutes behind and I ended up having to cancel my appointment. I didn't get a good vibe from his office, so I never rescheduled. So, I really liked this doc and office, but upon receiving the price list, the total for the two procedures was $25,200!!! This price seems awfully high to me, do you mind sharing what you paid for your procedure? And congratulations by the way! 

That is pretty high. I know you didn't ask me, but I have plastic surgery experience. I only had implants and an upper body lift, but was quoted for the full "mommy makeover", which was approximately $18k-$20k. But I guess it depends on where you live too. 

24 minutes ago, Birdkey26 said:

For that price I think the dr. wants you to overnight in the surgery center? I paid $15,900 for my TT and lift with implants. Plastics are negotiable. I would guess you can get them to take at least 20% off the quoted price.

Thank you for the replies. I actually made two more consultation appointments today but they can't see me for a few more weeks. The doc estimated surgery time at 6-7 hours with no overnight stay. I did a little research and was thinking it would be around $15,000. I'll update as it goes, if anyone else has any thoughts, please reply or message me. Thanks again.

Edited by Birdkey26
Forgot to add something

To second what steph said above, negotiate! My husband talked my surgeon down a good deal, and we ended up paying cash. 

13 hours ago, Birdkey26 said:

The doc estimated surgery time at 6-7 hours with no overnight stay. I did a little research and was thinking it would be around $15,000. I'll update as it goes, if anyone else has any thoughts, please reply or message me. Thanks again.

This is about how long I was in the OR. I think the boilerplate quote was around $20K. I paid cash as well which gave me an additional discount. 

I also paid cash and went back and forth with my surgons nurse. We finally agreed on 23,305.00 keep in mind mine was done at a clinic with a very clean operating room. I checked twice and a 3rd with my hubby. Providence hospital was across the street so if anything did go wrong I'd be sent directly over. My surgeries were full breast lift, new implants, brachioplasty, extended tightening under the armpit area, interior thigh lift and a post lateral butt /body lift with possible hip liposuction. The butt lift will be don't in 3 months from now because he wanted to break them up in 2. You dont want to turn someone over on the table right after implants!  He's a very well know surgon and typically does a little extras here and there for no charge. He even came in on a Sunday to remove my drains since my husband leaves state Sunday nights for work  and I had no one to take me in until he was back Thursday late. Soooo pricing is going to be alot less if you're paying cash and all upfront even if there's a stage 2 like mine and the surgons office Is in with a surgical building NOT hospital. I know that freaks some people out and honestly my first plastics 10 years ago were done in a hospital overnight. This surgery went 10x smoother than the hospital stay! The staff was amazing, they all work together on a daily basis and the anesthesiologist was amazing! !! First time ever I didn't wake up throwing up for hours..... the fee for operating room was 3100 and anesthesiologist fee was 1100. I did get a second opinion even though I knew I wanted to go with Dr cober that quote was 32,000. At a hospital with no free tightening of the armpit skin...... longer time under and she was unable willing to do the inter thighs the same time as arms and lift/implants so that would have been 3 surgeries! I'm not getting any younger and I had my sleeve done last August and rhinoplasty in December. The lest amount of surgeries in my opinion is beneficial. 

Sorry this was long and drawn-out but I think it's super important to hear everyone's experiences.