WorkinProcess

Reality Check -- This isn't supposed to be EASY

202 posts in this topic

I haven't had my surgery yet (nearly month 3 of 6 by insurance standards, no date yet), but this is something that I have been lecturing myself on, as well. Everything I put into my mouth now, I check the nutrition facts and ask myself, "Can I eat this post-op?" The surgery itself is only half the battle, the bigger part is your mind and your sheer will to get yourself out of this hole you've gotten yourself stuck in. For the longest time, I thought surgery was the "easy way out." Now I see that that couldn't be further from the truth. Surgery isn't easy - having the surgery isn't easy, healing from the surgery isn't easy, living with the surgery isn't easy, eating after the surgery isn't easy. Nothing is. It's just a tool to help you, a tool with a high success rate, but still just a tool. Going into the surgery believing much of anything else is just self-sabotage, in my opinion.

LeeC, WendyH, Res Ipsa and 1 other like this

On 12/29/2014 at 10:00 AM, WorkinProcess said:

Ok, I have to rant.  If you are going to be offended, please feel free to stop reading NOW.

We all had this surgery to lose weight, but apparently there were different expectations of what the process was supposed to be.

1. Whichever surgery you had, it wasn't supposed to be a replacement for Weight Watchers, where you cheated and then went back and bared your soul, and everyone said "there there"  If you pigged out, own it and get on with your life.
  2. This wasn't supposed to be EASY or Painless.  It was meant to give everyone a tool that would allow them to succeed where "diets" alone had failed.
  3. Some people you tell will have negative things to say about the surgery.  They will say it for a variety of reasons, including the fact that some people DO gain the weight back.  That doesnt mean YOU will - let this be an incentive to prove them wrong.
  4. Most of us have NO concept of what "full" means -- measure your food.  In my pre-op classes you were told "full" means you ate too much.
  5. There are NO "get out of jail free" cards.  You dont get "credit" for eating healthy 4 days and devouring all the sugar you can find on the 5th day.
  6. You dont HAVE to exercise, but most of us feel better if we do.  Plus you burn more calories exercising than you do sitting reading the forum.
  7. Just because you have kids, there is still no reason to keep junk in the house.  Your kids dont need it any more than you do.  Think about their future - if your kids think its ok to eat crap, because they are kids, you are probably setting them up to have to have wls at some future date.

most importantly --

You had surgery on your stomach, not your brain.  The stomach knows the right thing, its up to YOU to make sure your brain does as well.

Thank you for the tough love! I puffy heart love this post!