WorkinProcess

Reality Check -- This isn't supposed to be EASY

205 posts in this topic

Come one, come all!! I'm soooo going shopping for cheesy party clothes (sparkly and animal print) in the beginning of May!!!

I refuse to like this post when you say you might leave.

Don't frigging leave or I might have to come to Colorado and force you to be on TT. I don't know how I would do that but I am resourceful and CeCe and I know peeps.!

Come to Colorado, please! Better yet, we will meet when I finally move back to NY...I'm hoping in next few years. Hoping.

I'm not going anywhere. Everyone will just have to put up with my blunt rudeness :)

You know, I've been wanting to make a similar rant.  Yours is excellent.  

Hate the whining about eating carbs, craving carbs, neeeeeding carbs.  Carbs are bad in excess, period.  The mind needs to get that figured out and then just suck it the heck up.  And DO what we need to do to get this killer monkey off our backs.  Don't eat the darned cookies, cakes, candy, ice cream, fudge, rolo's, potatoes, rice... Whatever.  If you do, it's your (and your alone) price to pay.  I just don't want to hear about it anymore.  I will no longer say, "poor you, get back up on that wagon".  There is nothing justifiable about going off plan ! repeatedly ! If you are eating junk food daily,  if you eat a moon pie and then confess,  expect to hear some backlash and don't feel beat up over it.  We're supposed to be good examples for each other, not just be a positive support for our downfalls and backslides.  -- Glad PollySue is gone. She would surely blast me for this.

Sigh.  Maybe my time on this board is coming to a close.  I'm just ... tired of coddling those who know they are fudging up and keep doing it over and over.  Tired of the ones who dont really try, despite them thinking they are. I love the people here who really, really try and make this work.  But you can spot in just a few posts, the future failures.  ...and they always come back saying "I messed up and gained 40 lbs back, what did I do wrong?". well... What are you eating?  Because its all about the input.

People, the honeymoon period is TOO important to be stupid with it.  That cannot be stated emphatically enough.  If you want this badly enough, you will do what it takes to get there.  Period. End rant.

Being a newbie, less than a year out, I'm kind of scared of the maintenance stage. I mean, we are talking a lifetime! I am working the plan and eating really well and really clean, and working out (like hiking with CeCe!) but I am still afraid of the point the honeymoon ends. It's hard to imagine weight creeping back on, but as some long time WLS folks have posted, it definitely happens if you lose focus.

I am working really hard to eat low carb, plan snacks, and avoid sugar, but I worry how I will handle when the weight loss begins to slow. I know I will really need this forum and the support of the "seasoned" members to help me keep momentum going and offer their own experiences.

I attribute a lot of my success to the support of this board and people that I can be completely honest with about my screw ups, successes, and NSVs--the whole process of changing my life. I hope the seasoned members will continue to give advice and comment. There are hundreds of people lurking and reading these forums, never commenting, but learning from us all the same. It's really good to keep dialog going even if it gets tense at times.

GinaRae, CeCeJD, Spunkycat and 1 other like this

Come to Colorado, please! Better yet, we will meet when I finally move back to NY...I'm hoping in next few years. Hoping.

I'm not going anywhere. Everyone will just have to put up with my blunt rudeness :)

You are not rude.

You speak the truth and a lot of people cannot handle the truth.

As people have said, some people want their hands held, and relate their "woe is me " tale expecting sympathy. I am empathetic. sympathy is not helpful. Continually seeking sympathy keeps people stuck and keeps people stuck in a cycle of negative reinforcement.

Perpetuating negative behavior is harmful to all involved. Sucks everyone dry.

As far as I am concerned, some people need to get a grip and move ahead with more positivity and less whining. Follow your program and politely as I can say it, zip it shut and move on.

GAviv, Lennie, Sleevarilla and 2 others like this

Being a newbie, less than a year out, I'm kind of scared of the maintenance stage. I mean, we are talking a lifetime! I am working the plan and eating really well and really clean, and working out (like hiking with CeCe!) but I am still afraid of the point the honeymoon ends. It's hard to imagine weight creeping back on, but as some long time WLS folks have posted, it definitely happens if you lose focus.

I am working really hard to eat low carb, plan snacks, and avoid sugar, but I worry how I will handle when the weight loss begins to slow. I know I will really need this forum and the support of the "seasoned" members to help me keep momentum going and offer their own experiences.

I attribute a lot of my success to the support of this board and people that I can be completely honest with about my screw ups, successes, and NSVs--the whole process of changing my life. I hope the seasoned members will continue to give advice and comment. There are hundreds of people lurking and reading these forums, never commenting, but learning from us all the same. It's really good to keep dialog going even if it gets tense at times.

First of all congrats on your success.

I would encourage you to focus on today and not worry about the future. Enjoy each day for all you have, including this wonderful tool of WLS. Anticipating problems that may never happen can suck the life out of you now, leaving less energy for you to enjoy today and all that each day gives you. Develop and refine your new healthy eating habits so when maintenance comes you will be well prepared. In other words live your life today to the fullest, enjoying every moment. Best...

teachingaimee likes this

I think it's time for another hike! Ok, maybe at a mall because it is bitterly cold in NJ!

cherylm321, GAviv and teachingaimee like this

First of all congrats on your success.

I would encourage you to focus on today and not worry about the future. Enjoy each day for all you have, including this wonderful tool of WLS. Anticipating problems that may never happen can suck the life out of you now, leaving less energy for you to enjoy today and all that each day gives you. Develop and refine your new healthy eating habits so when maintenance comes you will be well prepared. In other words live your life today to the fullest, enjoying every moment. Best...

You are so right. I am largely a planner, so sometimes my anticipation gets the best of me. Maybe it is the memory of a lifetime of failed diets haunting me. But this isn't a diet. This is for life and so far it totally kicks butt. I have already had so many amazing experiences that I could not do 5 months ago because I was too large and out of shape. I just really want to feel this amazing forever. :)

Oh man, that sounds so corny, but after a lifetime of being unhealthy it really does feel amazing to be on the right track! Life is already so different. I am loving it. Seriously loving it.

Thanks for your words of support! Congratulations on your success and 1 yr surgiversary :)

Lennie likes this

I think it's time for another hike! Ok, maybe at a mall because it is bitterly cold in NJ!

Ah, miss you, girl!

I found a hiking spot that is beautiful! We must go to the mall, but can it wait until we drop another size and need more clothes? I am so down for shopping now that things fit!  :lol:

CeCeJD likes this

I don't know if most people get a "full" feeling or not -- I have had one since surgery for the first time in my life.  I can have a mouthful of food when it arrives -- and I damn better well not swallow it, or it WILL come back up.

Better yet, we will meet when I finally move back to NY...I'm hoping in next few years.

NOW you are talking S-A language!!!!!!!!  I'll skip Vegas... but count me in on NYC!!!!  God I love NY!!!  :)

GAviv and CeCeJD like this

Is it bad that I think this is easy? I've never lost this much weight so quickly without feeling hungry. Am I doomed to fail?

Is it bad that I think this is easy? I've never lost this much weight so quickly without feeling hungry. Am I doomed to fail?

You aren't even 12 months out yet.  

You aren't even 12 months out yet.

I get the feeling that the really hard work begins at maintenance.

GAviv likes this

Is that good or bad though?

I get the feeling that the really hard work begins at maintenance.

Gotcha.

NOW you are talking S-A language!!!!!!!!  I'll skip Vegas... but count me in on NYC!!!!  God I love NY!!!  :)

Ditto! I'm in the city for work tomorrow and Tuesday. Staying right near Rockefeller center and I hope the tree is still up.

cherylm321 and Spunkycat like this

Ah, miss you, girl!

I found a hiking spot that is beautiful! We must go to the mall, but can it wait until we drop another size and need more clothes? I am so down for shopping now that things fit! :lol:

You girls had better include me! I'm always up for mall hiking!!!
teachingaimee likes this

Ditto! I'm in the city for work tomorrow and Tuesday. Staying right near Rockefeller center and I hope the tree is still up.

I'm around if you have any time!

You girls had better include me! I'm always up for mall hiking!!!

Ah, you are a year ahead of us with weight loss, but you are SO invited! :)

cherylm321 likes this

School me on what happens after the year mark. I want to learn.

I'm around if you have any time!

Not this trip. Boo :(

Fly in tomorrow, with dinner tomorrow night and conference all day Tuesday. Fly out Tuesday night...next time for sure!

Bummer!

School me on what happens after the year mark. I want to learn.

For me- nothing different....just keeping on, keeping on!
lightenupwoman and GAviv like this

Fantastic stuff. I'm only 4 days post-op (sleeve, doing well, thanks), but on another forum I read, so many folks are bragging about:

how they eat guacomole & chips by letting the chips get soggy, tolerable recipes for the old foods, all the bad stuff they can now tolerate/fit into their stomachs, soda, booze.  Some are only a little while post op & saying they ate chocolate, how do you eat pizza, etc. (Lots of enthusiastic answers about the pizza tolerance). 

I think: you had major surgery to help you change your life & now you want to do this to yourself? They didn't get it from day one. Not just disturbing but horrifying.

Bravo, people! While there *are* voices of reason on that forum, this one is my happy place from now on.