WorkinProcess

Reality Check -- This isn't supposed to be EASY

^^This  :)

Amen! Well said!

You know, I've been wanting to make a similar rant.  Yours is excellent.  

Hate the whining about eating carbs, craving carbs, neeeeeding carbs.  Carbs are bad in excess, period.  The mind needs to get that figured out and then just suck it the heck up.  And DO what we need to do to get this killer monkey off our backs.  Don't eat the darned cookies, cakes, candy, ice cream, fudge, rolo's, potatoes, rice... Whatever.  If you do, it's your (and your alone) price to pay.  I just don't want to hear about it anymore.  I will no longer say, "poor you, get back up on that wagon".  There is nothing justifiable about going off plan ! repeatedly ! If you are eating junk food daily,  if you eat a moon pie and then confess,  expect to hear some backlash and don't feel beat up over it.  We're supposed to be good examples for each other, not just be a positive support for our downfalls and backslides.  -- Glad PollySue is gone. She would surely blast me for this.

Sigh.  Maybe my time on this board is coming to a close.  I'm just ... tired of coddling those who know they are fudging up and keep doing it over and over.  Tired of the ones who dont really try, despite them thinking they are. I love the people here who really, really try and make this work.  But you can spot in just a few posts, the future failures.  ...and they always come back saying "I messed up and gained 40 lbs back, what did I do wrong?". well... What are you eating?  Because its all about the input.

People, the honeymoon period is TOO important to be stupid with it.  That cannot be stated emphatically enough.  If you want this badly enough, you will do what it takes to get there.  Period. End rant.

I sure hope your time isn't over here. I am trying hard every day and coming here and reading the sound advice of those who have been there done that make it so much easier. I was just thinking last night as we celebrated my sons 18th birthday with Chinese and ice cream cake( I did not eat that crap)," man I got this". I have successfully gone through Thanksgiving and Christmas without breaking my mindset. Really, this site has helped tremendously with being able to visualize my future me. Addiction is a hard battle and some struggle more than others. So, thank you.

Edited by mmodugno

*claps*

cindy, i wouldn't apologize for not wanting to coddle. if there are certain individuals who can't take the tough love, then so be it. it's on them. babying and petting isn't going to get results. not only with weight loss, but with anything in life.

Amen, sisters! Amen! I'm with you, H-C, the whining is about ready to do me in. I love reading the successes, I love reading the struggles.  But I dislike the whining. And you know what else I shudder at? Self-congratulation.  Every single time a newly operated person (and I mean in the past year and a half) says, "I ate this and I still lost weight!" or "I ate this and I didn't gain a pound. Back on the wagon today!", I cringe. Listen, folks, to what Workinprocess says, this is not a diet. It's not cheating. It's sabotage. And she and I know--as the slow losers in the bunch--that the weight comes off as it wants to. Our staying on plan early on is setting up habits, not dieting. You're going to lose weight at first NO MATTER WHAT you eat or don't eat. It's not your doing at first. But you eat crap and skip your protein? You are setting up bad habits and you are risking big problems healthwise in the future. Those problems don't come overnight, but they will come. Okay, I'm done. Feel better, H-C and Workinprocess? I do for the time being.

Edited by Molly January

I think that some people enjoy the victim role. They enjoy the coddling they get and when someone doesn't coddle them, they get to play the victim even more because now someone is being mean to them. They get a charge out of it. And, from personal experience with someone who posts here, they get downright nasty in private tells when you don't coddle them.

I think that most know how I feel about all of that.

As for leaving, I do hope that you'll reconsider. One of the reasons I come to this board above all others is the honesty and push to have people be self-reliant and accountable. The people who motivate me, who inspire me, who push me to do better are the ones like you, H-C. There are others, but if I try to list them all, I'll forget someone and then I'd feel like crap.

Sometimes things just have to be said. 

I greatly respect MJ.  She's been through the wringer and has come out the other side a winner.  Listen to her. 

Thank god we have you, MJ and HC.  

I often get blasted for being tough, or rude, or offensive.  Call it what you will.  But I am also not a fan of hearing about how people CHOOSE to go off plan and don't like to hear the honest truth about why it was a bad idea.  But, sometimes I just read a post and say whatever, because it's not worth it.

I don't know.  Maybe my time is coming to an end too, HC.  And be careful, people are very sensitive to the word "coddle" around here.

coddle, coddle, coddle, coddle, coddle, coddle

ya'll better not freaking leave, that's all I have to say about it.

The fact that some of the best support systems I have on this board are considering leaving makes me very sad. Please don't let a few rotten apples spoil the bunch. I'm not always the greatest at handling tough love but we all need it sometimes. Especially if we are heading down the wrong path. I eat unsweetened applesauce with my peanut butter on days that I meet my protein goals. Even then, I think I wonder what Cindy and Greer would say? Is this an acceptable snack? lol 

I know that many of us newbies look up to many of you that have posted on this thread and I'm saddened that you guys get blasted quite often around here. 

Much love-

A

Edited by Andreaslaughing

coddle, coddle, coddle, coddle, coddle, coddle

ya'll better not freaking leave, that's all I have to say about it.

Youre right up the road from me.  ...just sayin.

Great post....especially about having kids.....I hate to see kids being fed crap....has always been a peeve of mine....you wouldn't let a child in the car without a seat belt....why feed them garbage?

i'll put it like this. if there are individuals who feel like their hands are going to be held the entire way, then this isn't the forum for them to be on. myself included. and greer, cindy, molly, wip, etc - will be quick to tell you about your life.

i'm sorry if y'all don't feel appreciated. cause i appreciate y'all a whole bunch for keeping myself (and others) in check. :(

I guess I'm missing those posts or I just ignore them? 

Yeah the surgery is on your stomach not your brain. I think everyone is different but for the most part most of our bodies around here are not going to lose weight while eating a lot of carbs. They just aren't. 

Maybe once you get to maintenance you can add some back in but in the beginning if you can't let it go, that's an addiction. Work on the addiction. 

Though I haven't had surgery yet, I was attracted to this forum for the exact reason some whine about! I appreciate the honest, tell it like it is, in your face responses! Who needs, dare I say it...coddling when we would be better off getting a kick in the butt to get us thinking right again! To motivate us or simply say "stop eating that!"

You all need to stay on here-at least through my post-op LOL ;)

And, the Oscar for most clueless member goes to ........ drum roll.......

Best Post Ever.

I have not had surgey yet, but I truly enjoy the veteran's posts.  So HC and Greer (Sleverilla, MJ WIP, Jolls, i know I'm fogetting some), please continue to post.  I can't wait to have surgery and have to answer to you guys for my decisions.  I appreciate the knowledge and wisdom that you bestow upon us. 

Edited by slb2u2

Thank you veterans!  I love and appreciate the wisdom and honesty you share with all of us, not to mention the time you spend teaching us.  Apologies if/when I contribute to your frustrations. 

I've pinned this - thanks MJ!

I love the "OWN IT" part.

I messed up today.  Pretty badly.  Thought I was smarter than I am.

I'm on an airplane again (story of my danged life) and picked up some fresh cashews at the airport.  I know they're a bit high in fat but a 1/4c makes for a good snack.  They're all natural, California cashews so I thought they'd make a better snack than, say, a Quest bar.

Well, I totally misjudged myself and ended up eating 4oz of them... HOLY COW is that a lot of calories.  And carbs.  And fat.  And COMPLETELY unacceptable.   For some reason, I was thinking 4oz=1/4c.  This is what happens when you fly on an hour of sleep last night.

I screwed up.  Badly.  That counts as dinner and then some.  I'm at 1,500 calories for the day - by far the most I've had since surgery.

But - and this is why I'm posting this here - I OWN IT.  I blew it - I screwed up, I made a mistake, I wasn't THINKING about what I was doing, I didn't double check myself, and now I'm going to pay for it.  That kinda goes against the whole "MINDFUL EATING" mantra I'm trying to live by.

The difference is that I OWN IT.  No excuses, no "oh well, I screwed up, guess I might as well eat half a pizza tonight", no falling off the wagon - that, ladies and germs, is what's new and different about me.  I'm not going to let it ruin me, ruin my day, push me off the plan, or get me so down that I eat a quart of ice cream.

Tomorrow is a fresh, new day, and one that shall begin and end with the food scale.  Maybe next time instead of picking up the cashews at the airport, I'll pre-package some and bring them with me.

That's called learning, and I'm doing it.

I'm not sharing this because I want a "there, there, it's OK" but rather because I think it's important for others to see that we're all human, we all make mistakes, and what really determines ultimate success is the ability to bounce back ....  That was stupid and I know it.

/LongPost.  Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Oooh, finally!  I've been waiting YEARS for it!

First of all, I'd like to thank the Academy, and my agent, and the producers, and of course my lovely wife and family!

Have your pets spayed or neutered!