ToutDeSuite

Sugar Addiction?

I didn't know where else to start this... I know what my thoughts are on it but want to hear from others.  

Personally, experience has shown me that I struggle with sugar like an alcoholic struggles with alcohol, and that's why I have decided to abstain from it for the rest of my life.  

I can't say I've known anyone addicted to sugar, but I see no reason why someone couldn't be. Congrats to you for recognizing a change in behavior is needed.

Common addictions include, drugs, alcohol, gambling, exercise, sex, food, etc. No reason sugar couldn't be an addiction as well. The definition of addiction in the Diagnostic & Statistcal Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) tend to be defined today as one of dependence with a form of physical dependence and a loss of control.

"Substance dependence, or addiction, as defined by the DSM-IV, is indicated by the presence of three or more of the criteria listed below in the last 12 months. Note that all but the first two criteria reflect some form of loss of control over the use of or effects of the drug.

Tolerance: Does the patient tend to need more of the drug over time to get the same effect?

Withdrawal symptoms: Does the patient experience withdrawal symptoms when he or she does not use the drug?

Continued use of drug despite harm: Is the patient experiencing physical or psychological harm from the drug?

Loss of control: Does the patient take the drug in larger amounts, or for longer than planned?

Attempts to cut down: Has the patient made a conscious, but unsuccessful, effort to reduce his or her drug use?

Salience: Does the patient spend significant time obtaining or thinking about the drug, or recovering from its effects?

Reduced involvement: Has the patient given up or reduced his or her involvement in social, occupational or recreational activities due to the drug?"

If surgar has some or all of the above effects on you than addiction is a possibility. Again, I see no reason why addiction to sugar couldn't happen.

I'm personally not addicted to sugar, but I do know my body functions SO much better without it. I applaud you for listening to your body and making those hard decisions.

I can't say I've known anyone addicted to sugar, but I see no reason why someone couldn't be. Congrats to you for recognizing a change in behavior is needed.

Common addictions include, drugs, alcohol, gambling, exercise, sex, food, etc. No reason sugar couldn't be an addiction as well. The definition of addiction in the Diagnostic & Statistcal Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) tend to be defined today as one of dependence with a form of physical dependence and a loss of control.

"Substance dependence, or addiction, as defined by the DSM-IV, is indicated by the presence of three or more of the criteria listed below in the last 12 months. Note that all but the first two criteria reflect some form of loss of control over the use of or effects of the drug.

Tolerance: Does the patient tend to need more of the drug over time to get the same effect?

Withdrawal symptoms: Does the patient experience withdrawal symptoms when he or she does not use the drug?

Continued use of drug despite harm: Is the patient experiencing physical or psychological harm from the drug?

Loss of control: Does the patient take the drug in larger amounts, or for longer than planned?

Attempts to cut down: Has the patient made a conscious, but unsuccessful, effort to reduce his or her drug use?

Salience: Does the patient spend significant time obtaining or thinking about the drug, or recovering from its effects?

Reduced involvement: Has the patient given up or reduced his or her involvement in social, occupational or recreational activities due to the drug?"

If surgar has some or all of the above effects on you than addiction is a possibility. Again, I see no reason why addiction to sugar couldn't happen.

Hi, I'm Sue, and I'm a sugar addict!

Edited by ToutDeSuite

Hi, I'm Molly, and I'm a sugar addict, too.

ToutDeSuite: I have banned sugar from life as well. It is the only non-negotiable for me post-op. I do not know if I would dump, I do not know if I would react the same way to sugar now as I did before surgery. What I would do before is say, "Oh, I'll just have a little bit of (fill in the sugary blank--cake, cookie, ice cream, ICING) and that would be all she wrote. Not only would I then go off and plant myself face down in the (fill in the blank) I would then go and vacuum whatever else was in sight. There is a physiological response involved, and I don't have the medical vocabulary for it, but when a sugar addict eats sugar, the glycogen levels (?) insulin (?) something spikes and the addict is filled with a sense of well-being. When whatever it is crashes, the addict has little control over it and goes back to regain the equilibrium brought on by the sugar. I know that I have the terminology wrong, so anybody who can straighten me out is encouraged to do so, but the lack of control is real. And the DSM-IV description nails it as far as I'm concerned. I will never eat sugar again! 

EDIT: Let me say it like this: For today, I am not eating sugar. One day at a time, and that's for real.

Edited by Molly January

I, too, am a sugar addict. If I allow myself to think about even considering something with sugar - esp chocolate - its all I can think about. This is why I can honestly say I have not had a cookie or piece of candy made with sugar or honey or whatever since my surgery.

I just will not allow myself to contemplate it, because I'm that addicted.

I'm a food addict. I am addicted to certain foods, some have sugar and some don't . For me, its exactly the same as an addiction to drugs or alcohol. I obsess about those foods, can't ever get enough of them. Isolate so I can eat them when others aren't around, etc. I say this in the present tense even thought I haven't engaged in any of those behaviors in 18 months because I know the moment I stop managing my food addiction, it will swoop in and take back over. My addiction has already figured out I can at all the foods I used to  if I graze through the day. My addiction has a plan for me for when it jumps back in the driver's seat. (Cue the evil laugh.)

Hi, I'm Sue, and I'm a sugar addict!

Excellent first step. :-)

I didn't know where else to start this... I know what my thoughts are on it but want to hear from others.  

Personally, experience has shown me that I struggle with sugar like an alcoholic struggles with alcohol, and that's why I have decided to abstain from it for the rest of my life.  

I am not a sugar addict, but my partner is. I am an alcoholic, so I know what it is like to crave something and to abuse it. I have watched her eat candy like crazy -- I like sweets but not to the extent that she does. However, she has been abstinent from candy and other sweets for 2 years now and has lost over 100 pounds. I am so proud of her. 

Fortunately, you don't need sugar to survive just like I don't need alcohol, so it is possible to be totally abstinent. i don't know if you drink or not, but what I heard in AA is that alcohol turns into sugar pretty quickly in the bloodstream. In fact, that is why you often see cookies or other sweets at AA meetings -- it can help newly sober alcoholics with the craving. 

I am not a sugar addict, but my partner is. I am an alcoholic, so I know what it is like to crave something and to abuse it. I have watched her eat candy like crazy -- I like sweets but not to the extent that she does. However, she has been abstinent from candy and other sweets for 2 years now and has lost over 100 pounds. I am so proud of her. 

Fortunately, you don't need sugar to survive just like I don't need alcohol, so it is possible to be totally abstinent. i don't know if you drink or not, but what I heard in AA is that alcohol turns into sugar pretty quickly in the bloodstream. In fact, that is why you often see cookies or other sweets at AA meetings -- it can help newly sober alcoholics with the craving. 

Ya know, I've never liked alcohol, but give me a pan of brownies and I can finish it in a day.  I think sugar addiction is a lot like alcoholism because some can indulge in one or the other and never have a problem with it, but then there are some of us who struggle with sugar or alcohol addiction.  

Studies have shown that lab rats will endure electric shock to satisfy a sugar craving but will not suffer likewise to satisfy a cocaine addiction.  That says a lot.  For me, I might think I can control sugar for a while, but eventually it takes over and controls me.  When that happens, as my friend says, one bite is too much and 100 bites is never enough.  

Edited by ToutDeSuite

I was lucky in losing my sweet tooth after WLS. I found that alcohol was a serious new danger, however. I got past it, lucky there too!

I know this pain.  Hubby says that there is no way the pumpkin pie would still be in the house pre-op.  This year ive had maybe 3 bites.  I still eat things with sugar, (sweet tarts are my go to right now), I focus on fat not sugar since I don't dump.  My NUT said as long as I don't get out of control with it.  I have had days where it seems like all I did was sit on the couch an eat sweets with no concern for my weight.  Post-op, I am really trying not to be that person.  I still want to be able to enjoy food, I just need to enjoy in moderation.  However, some will say its a gateway to returning to old habits, this is my biggest fear.  If I start to gain at any point then we will have to reassess the situation.  Can addicts still consume in moderation without it getting out of control?    

I am also a sugar addict.  I went seriously off track when the receptionist who sits near the door I enter each day at work started filling a candy dish with miniature chocolates.  I rationalized that it was just one and it was small.  In the beginning I challenged myself to eat only one, on my way home.  Then it was one in the morning and one on the way home.  Before long, I was getting up to intentionally walk past her desk to grab a piece of chocolate several times per day.  Then I started buying cookies "for the kids"... ugh!    I kept saying, that as long as I don't gain any weight it is OK.  I didn't gain any weight, but with those eating habits, I knew it was only a matter of time. I has taken me a long time and a huge struggle to get back on track.   

I am also a sugar addict.  I went seriously off track when the receptionist who sits near the door I enter each day at work started filling a candy dish with miniature chocolates.  I rationalized that it was just one and it was small.  In the beginning I challenged myself to eat only one, on my way home.  Then it was one in the morning and one on the way home.  Before long, I was getting up to intentionally walk past her desk to grab a piece of chocolate several times per day.  Then I started buying cookies "for the kids"... ugh!    I kept saying, that as long as I don't gain any weight it is OK.  I didn't gain any weight, but with those eating habits, I knew it was only a matter of time. I has taken me a long time and a huge struggle to get back on track.   

Exactly why it is easier for me to just say never. 

I know this pain.  Hubby says that there is no way the pumpkin pie would still be in the house pre-op.  This year ive had maybe 3 bites.  I still eat things with sugar, (sweet tarts are my go to right now), I focus on fat not sugar since I don't dump.  My NUT said as long as I don't get out of control with it.  I have had days where it seems like all I did was sit on the couch an eat sweets with no concern for my weight.  Post-op, I am really trying not to be that person.  I still want to be able to enjoy food, I just need to enjoy in moderation.  However, some will say its a gateway to returning to old habits, this is my biggest fear.  If I start to gain at any point then we will have to reassess the situation.  Can addicts still consume in moderation without it getting out of control?    

I don't think a true addict can consume in moderation. If someone can consume in moderation, that someone is probably not an addict. Has a weakness for, but not addicted to. Read PapaG's citation from the DSM-IV. The good news--people with weaknesses for may be able to consume in moderation. I'm an addict. I can't. 

I've been able to consume sugar in moderation for a while, but then one day it takes over.  I can remember the last time this happened, I couldn't stop going to the freezer for another (small) bowl of ice cream.  It was then that I knew I was out of control and it wasn't until my pre-op diet that I got it under control again.  That's why I say I'm not going back.  It will only be a matter of time before my addiction would be full blown again.

Can addicts still consume in moderation without it getting out of control?    

I am a food addict and I can consume in moderation only if I plan for it. No spontaneous food decisions for me for carbs or sugar. Otherwise, I will soon be out of control. 

Sugar is the only "food" that I have HAD to have, meaning I had a craving so strong that I got into my car & drove to the store for no other reason, bought a quart of ice cream, drove home and consumed it. I have also eaten brown sugar straight out of the bag until the craving was satisfied. Oh, and once I baked a chocolate cake from a box, and despite having to wait the 35 minutes for it to bake, the craving stayed with me until it was cool enough to eat. (I have not done any of these things in over a year, might be menopause related.)

With the exception of dog/cat food and toilet paper, there is NOTHING else I have ever made myself go to the store to get because I just had to have it. 

My father was an alcoholic; when I was 16 and he attending AA, he told me about the tendency for genetic inheritance of some sort of addictive behavior. I was overweight then, but I doubt either of us thought addiction to food was even a thing. He was mostly concerned that I be very careful about drinking alcohol and smoking (he smoked). I have always been very careful about alcohol ever since, but too bad I didn't think sugar would become my drug.

IM A MAJOR SUGAR ADDICT PRE & POST OP!!! Hi My name is Re and I suck at managing my sugar intake. I can if i see my weight getting up too high, but normally i eat whatever i want and just watch my sugar. Some days better than others...  I found that during the holidays i ate more. Normally i dont but because of the situation im in now... I was eating more pies to comfort me. Ive never done that before in my life. Im trying to best to continue maintaining my weight because I know several ladies that have had RNY done that have gained a lot back. if not most!! So i do not want to be a statistic. I wish everyone well and hope that we can all be successful in our new lives!!  Go long term post op'rs! 

Sugar is the only "food" that I have HAD to have, meaning I had a craving so strong that I got into my car & drove to the store for no other reason, bought a quart of ice cream, drove home and consumed it. I have also eaten brown sugar straight out of the bag until the craving was satisfied. Oh, and once I baked a chocolate cake from a box, and despite having to wait the 35 minutes for it to bake, the craving stayed with me until it was cool enough to eat. (I have not done any of these things in over a year, might be menopause related.)

With the exception of dog/cat food and toilet paper, there is NOTHING else I have ever made myself go to the store to get because I just had to have it. 

My father was an alcoholic; when I was 16 and he attending AA, he told me about the tendency for genetic inheritance of some sort of addictive behavior. I was overweight then, but I doubt either of us thought addiction to food was even a thing. He was mostly concerned that I be very careful about drinking alcohol and smoking (he smoked). I have always been very careful about alcohol ever since, but too bad I didn't think sugar would become my drug.

I have the same issue.. im in perimenopause and I have other med issues going on! it sucks. It will make u crave something at the craziest times as if youre pregnant!! i hate it. But splenda did me wonders i tried that at first eating a pack of splenda. it was too sweet and didnt quell the craving. so ive learned giving into exactly what i want works.. as long as i dont eat like a cow the next day. lol

Something just dawned on me - I really enjoy baking, but because of my problems with self control, I seldom never bake for myself. I reserve baking to potlucks, having guests, giving away as gifts. If I make a batch of cookies or loaf of bread just for me, I'll eat till I'm stuffed.

I would like to be the kind of person who could bake something special, have just a small portion, and then just leave it alone. Do you think I could do that someday?

Something just dawned on me - I really enjoy baking, but because of my problems with self control, I seldom never bake for myself. I reserve baking to potlucks, having guests, giving away as gifts. If I make a batch of cookies or loaf of bread just for me, I'll eat till I'm stuffed.

I would like to be the kind of person who could bake something special, have just a small portion, and then just leave it alone. Do you think I could do that someday?

I bake for others, but don't sample at all. If it's made with sugar, I will eat until it's gone. I haven't had sugar since surgery. BUT I have started baking with sugar substitutes, and can enjoy those products in complete moderation. ymmv, of course.

The only time i could eat sugar in moderation was during my honeymoon phrase. It was limited to 3 cookies at Christmas and a sliver of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.  I believe this was my second holiday season and 1 1/2 years out.  That time has come and gone and I do not do sugar.  I have noticed the difference in how my body feels without it.  When I do falter, I find my joints ache the next day.  It also sets off the obsession that I have no control over.  I feel emotionally drained by the self loathing I feel and shame I reign down upon myself.  It is just not worth it.  Sugar in moderation works for some.  I am not one of those people.  I am just much healthier without it.  I don't really care at this point.  I don't feel sorry for myself at all that I can't have it.  I get to eat all this delicious healthy food.  I am really grateful for that.  

You are certainly not alone!

I think I too am a sugar addict. I do not know if I will dump if I consume it, but am assuming I would...Surprisingly I am not missing it too much and havent had any since surgery in November.

My mom was a baker and I lost her when I was 21 and she was 54 to cancer. I have all these crazy connections to treats and my mom...As I am becoming healthier both physically and emotionally, I am learning there are many other wonderful ways to remember my mom that will keep me healthy!

I am thankful that I have broken the physical cravings to sugar, and hope to learn how to be fully successful in breaking the emotional ties to it as well!

Hi I'm Joanne and I'm a sugar addict.

Although I will say I do not discriminate. I'm an equal opportunity food addict. I will take it all, carbs, sugar, fats, low fats, sugar free, anything edible. But sugar is my biggest weakness. Thank heavens it makes me sick.