VolMommy

Did you tell you coworkers?

41 posts in this topic

This is a repeat: not telling someone about your personal health care decisions is NOT lying. Asking about it is PRYING into business that is not theirs to know.

Much of the answer to this question is how you are personally wired up. I actually don't discuss much personal stuff at work. And VSG the weight comes off slower and while people noticed the loss, I've done this before. Lost and gained, lost and gained.

If you're the sort that "whatever is on your mind is on your lips" then it will just be impossible for you to keep WLS on the QT. You might as well tell everyone kand deal with the consequences. I'm just not that way. I give people what's in my head on a need-to-know basis.

There is no absolutely right or wrong answer to this question. Only what is best for you.

I'm good with that.

pinkswing likes this

Perhaps it's a gender related thing, or maybe the closeness of your relationship with your coworkers? I work closely with a group of people.

I stand by my statement in an environment such as mine.

Someone who works in a more impersonal manner would no doubt feel differently.

Edited by WorkinProcess
Aviator likes this

I eat more at work now than pre -surgery. I have my yogurt at my desk for breakfast most days, a mid -morning snack,lunch, and sometimes a snack in the afternoon. I eat every 2 to 3 hours. It's easy to say I'm eating several small meals a day and exercising to lose the weight. No one has ever asked if I had wls. They just see that I changed my habits pretty drastically.

Aviator likes this

Perhaps it's a gender related thing, or maybe the closeness of your relationship with your coworkers? I work closely with a group of people.

I stand by my statement in an environment such as mine.

Someone who works in a more impersonal manner would no doubt feel differently.

I do think part of it is gender related.  Women tend to discuss things men would never dream of.

Closeness is not really the issue.  Im close to my mother and brothers.  They don't know.

For me, my time is precious, I rarely have time to get everything done as it is.  Every day is scheduled very tight and there is not time for idle banter about kids, grandkids, healthcare, halitosis, athletes foot, hairdressers, my pedicure, the sex habits of frogs in Sarawak, religion, or politics.  I would put discussion about WLS in the "not discussed at work" category with those things.

I love all these responses. It is nice to see different points of view. I think everyone makes their own choices based on what is best for them. I am unable to be close to those I work with, and I travel quite a bit. I am only 4 days out, and although I feel kind of tired and weak, and I hate Popsicles, I know not telling them was the right thing for me. If I worked in a different environment, I may have done things differently, but not now.

Aviator and pinkswing like this

I love all these responses. It is nice to see different points of view. I think everyone makes their own choices based on what is best for them. I am unable to be close to those I work with, and I travel quite a bit. I am only 4 days out, and although I feel kind of tired and weak, and I hate Popsicles, I know not telling them was the right thing for me. If I worked in a different environment, I may have done things differently, but not now.

congratulations Vol!  welcome to the Loser's Bench.

Thanks so much. Right now I am having a hard time seeing what life will be like maybe 3 months from now because I am sore and only drinking liquids... But I know it gets better!

cherylm321 likes this

Thanks so much. Right now I am having a hard time seeing what life will be like maybe 3 months from now because I am sore and only drinking liquids... But I know it gets better!

Yes it does!

I agree with WorkinProcess and I do love the attitude - people will find out, one way or another, so if you're on good terms with them, why not tell them up front before they drag you to McDonalds saying that a tiny burger can't hurt?.. I myself work in a small company , and even though these aren't the people I hang out with after work, I still spend a siginificant part of my life with them, so I told them. The support i got before and after my surgery was amazing.

WorkinProcess and cinwa like this

I chose to be out in the open my WLS once people started commenting about my weight loss.

They already knew that I had been having issues with an umbilical hernia and that I had surgery to repair that with a mesh but in fairness, I have a 35+ year documented history of failed dieting so for me to try and claim that it was that alone that was making me drop the weight wasn't going to fly.

And if I had to do it all again tomorrow, I'd do it exactly the same because even those with preconceived notions of what WLS was all about soon started asking questions about the process and 3 people that I know of actually went on to have WLS surgery based on my success.

I had to tell my employees.  There was no hiding it.  We all work in a very close kit atmosphere.  Frankly I dont care if they know.  I needed their support with the time I will be taking off of work and lifting etc.  Now I just have to keep them from telling EVERYONE

My father and sister... NFW do I want them to know however.

Im glad you told them - its important for people to know successful wls participants exist and you are one of them. In regard to them telling others, I think you are wasting a lot of energy on worrying about something that wont be that big a deal in the long run.

While we might view it as "privacy" others may view it as shame or embarrassment. Unless we live in a bubble we have to deal with others " knowing our business"

Now you can rely on the additional support you receive from your employees and they will respect you more for trusting them with this part of your life.

betsymarie, GAviv and Charlotte1228 like this

WorkinProcess....  My situation has a little nuance to it.   I have a local radio show and I am a local news expert (called to be on the news as an expert in my field).  I often go out and have strangers come up to me to discuss all kinds of crazy things.  My employees blabbing has the potential to get commentary from every Tom, Dick and Harry.  How I treat people in public, what kind of tip I left, how much gas I pumped is often broadcast to many as a commentary on my character.  So no, I dont much care what others think.  I would just like to not have to be the Local Poster Child for WLS.

Sometimes I just want to go to dinner with my daughter.  Ya know what I mean?

Edited by CinderellasRevenge
WorkinProcess likes this

I told them. Better they hear it from me than making their own assumptions.

WorkinProcess likes this

I'm super honest about it. To me WLS really isn't a big deal, I told people I was getting it done before hand and now close to 4yrs later I am still honest about it and no one cares honestly. 

I also think a lot of it depends on how big you are. If you are "only" dropping 60-100 that is pretty doable on your own, verses the people who are losing 150-250+lbs in a year, its hard to explain that away.