JennaG2014

Numbness and sensitivity

2 posts in this topic

I am 5 weeks out from an abdominoplasty and breast augmentation. I am very happy with the result, but a little concerned that I have such a large area of numbness on my abdomen. 

Two inches above my incision and stretching from hip to hip, I am numb. I am still wearing compression garments, but I have had my drains removed.

The other issue is how sensitive my breasts are. I still have to use a numbing cream that my surgeon prescribed. The areola of each breast can be so sensitive that I can barely stand to have the shower water hitting them. I have told my surgeon about this issue and he told me that I would return to normal eventually, but how long is eventually?

I don't expect an exact date, but is there some time frame I can look forward to. Thank you

Dear Jenna,

Thanks for your question.

I agree with your surgeon that such symptoms of numbness or hypersensitivity are not unusual following surgery.

In my experience, it can take up to six months for the symptoms to resolve and for the sensation to return.

I recommend you follow your surgeon's instructions in the meantime to improve chances of normal sensation returning to the areas.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD FACS.