grapey

Pregnant! Wow! :)

63 posts in this topic

I had severe, severe pcos. For years I didn't even have a period. Now I'm six weeks pregnant. I'm so thankful to God. I'm nervous and I know a lot could still happen. I'm 36, so not a spring chicken. It's my first pregnancy. I'm still letting it all sink in. I'm tapering off some medications (antidepressants and sleeping pill) and feel very out of it and tired. And I'm rambling here. 

But I wanted to say that there is hope for women with pcos! 

I would appreciate your prayers for baby and me. I've already talked with my wls dietician over the phone. I also found out about an OB who has worked with post-wls women, *and* she's married to one of the bariatric surgeons here! 

Blessings to all of you who have struggled with this too. I hope my story encourages you. 

Grapey, that is so wonderful! Perhaps that was the cause of your stomach discomfort? Anyway, what an amazing surprise, and I wish you all the best. Get on a good prenatal with lots of folic acid!

PatriciaAnn likes this

Congrats!!    :P  

This is such wonderful news hon! Congrats to you and hubby. I wish for you to have the best pregnancy experience. Also that you and that baby are healthy. Take care of yourself and keep us updated.  :)

Edited by ChiefsLady

Oh, what wonderful news! Congratulations! I'll send a few prayers your way!

Best of luck!

Grapey, that is wonderful news.   Very best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Congratulations to you and your significant other!

Congrats!!

Thank you all!! Things are still very early, and I"m trying to remember that. But also, I'm thrilled. :) 

GAviv likes this

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Also, it is great to hear that there is still hope for those of us with PCOS.

What a wonderful blessing especially this time of year! Congratulations!

Congrats and best wishes for a stress-free pregnancy.

Wonderful news, congratulations!

Congrats!!! Such an awessome thing to hear considering one of my primary reasons for having surgery was to help "cure" my PCOS so I can have babies. I'm so happy for you! :)

teachingaimee likes this

I am smiling reading this post, I too have PCOS and am hoping for a family down the road.  Looks like I chose the right path! Congratulations!!!

Just wondering how you're doing Grapey? 

I'm doing well--thanks for asking! :) I'm 15 weeks 4 days as of today. At 19 weeks I'll have the big "anatomy scan" ultrasound. I have had two instances of subchorionic hemorrhage, the last one about three or four weeks ago, I think. That's when some blood is trapped between the placenta and cervix (I think), so I bled briefly. Which was scary. It is so amazing to hear that tiny heartbeat on the doppler. I'm so thankful to God!

I have had some instances of severe reactive hypoglycemia--that surprised me. My OB said insulin sensitivity can increase in the first trimester. Now that I'm in my second, I hope it will go away. I never thought I'd have this problem; with PCOS, I had the exact opposite issue. 

Liv, Lennie, GAviv and 1 other like this

omg, wow.

congrats.

I have been feeling like I'll never have the chance to have my own baby.

My fiancé and I have talked about getting married and having a child, but of course the having a child part always seems like a dream to me.

I act like I don't want kids so that no one will feel bad for me if it never happens. TRUTH IS - I would love to be a mother...

I pray to God that post op I too will become pregnant.

CONGRATS ON YOUR BLESSING and keep us all posted.

grapey and Liv like this

So glad you're ok and the baby.  :)

grapey likes this

Update from me: As of today, I am 20 weeks pregnant, and so very thankful to God. I had the big anatomy scan and so far the baby looks great. Through some of my other threads, you may have seen that a couple weeks ago, I experienced some terrible upper abdominal pain; it appears to have been a severe ulcer. My surgeon's office put me on the good ol' WLS combo of protonix and carafate, and I think it's healed the ulcer. I think I had minor ulcers a couple times before, post-gastric bypass, but the baby is just exacerbating my issues. It's up to me to be more careful about what I eat and drink. 

Overall I've gained 11 pounds since the beginning of my pregnancy--during my abdominal pain/ulcer issues, I lost several pounds, which was scary, but I've gained most of them back. As my "baby bump" grows, the weight gain doesn't bother me as much, because it's obviously the baby and not just fat. 

GAviv and Liv like this

You will find as the baby grows you may battle the reflux more. I always found small frequent meals was the answer towards the end when the baby is forcing everything every which way! Of course, thirty years ago I had a normal size tummy, but I am sure the small frequent meals will be the trick. Super excited for you and sending you my best wishes! Jen

grapey likes this

I'm 23 1/2 weeks--woohoo! I'm still being very cautious about what I drink/eat because of the ulcer. I've also been experiencing more reactive hypoglycemia when I'm not careful about my carbs. I just need to be more mindful about what I eat and getting in my protein. 

In the beginning, gaining weight really bothered me, but it doesn't bother me as much now because it's all in my belly--I definitely look pregnant instead of just overweight, haha. I don't think I'm gaining weight anywhere else (at least not for now). 

LouisianaLady likes this

Grapey, does your OB consider you high risk because of the WLS? Can I ask how much you have gained or are targeting to gain for total pregnancy?

Edited by GAviv

Grapey, it's been over a month since your last update here. By my calculations you're 28 weeks now. How are you doing? How is your ulcer?