Lisi1963

Young men's wear

10 posts in this topic

My son is 17 and about 5'10 and 211 pounds. I went shopping with him today and I realize I need to know more about men's clothes - everything we looked at was slim cut and/or incredibly unflattering. 

Land's End has husky clothes,  but they are too young for him now.  Does anyone know what brand/range would work for a young man who wants a good suit/jacket to wear to nicer events.  He's a 44R,  but to get the suit to fit across his belly, it becomes too big around his shoulders.  Even day to day clothes are hard for him now and I hate to see him discouraged.

Kohls sells suit separates so you can buy the jacket and pants in different sizes.

The selection is pretty good on line.

Lisi1963 likes this

My son is 17 and about 5'10 and 211 pounds. I went shopping with him today and I realize I need to know more about men's clothes - everything we looked at was slim cut and/or incredibly unflattering. 

Land's End has husky clothes,  but they are too young for him now.  Does anyone know what brand/range would work for a young man who wants a good suit/jacket to wear to nicer events.  He's a 44R,  but to get the suit to fit across his belly, it becomes too big around his shoulders.  Even day to day clothes are hard for him now and I hate to see him discouraged.

I have this exact problem. I have yet to find a real good solution. I have similar problems with dress shirts, where the ones that fit across my belly are way too big around my neck. It is not an easy solution to find an answer to other than getting suits tailored specifically for him. Buying something off the rack can be a real challenge.

It is a tricky body type.  If we come up with anything good,  I'll let you know!

I went to JOS A Banks the other day, and needed to get a couple dress shirts. My neck would be ideal for a 17, while my stomach would be best in an 18.5 or 19. For suits, there was almost a ten size difference between my shoulders and my stomach...

There is Destination XL. My husband to be is 27 about the same height and about 290 pounds. Destination XL has standard mens brands in bigger sizes. He is also a big Kmart shopper.

Try the suits at JCPenney.

May be a bit pricy  but Nordstrom's has a great men's departed with taloring, fitting and special orders too. Also if you buy any of their denim they hem with the original hem apposed to a seamstress who will charge extra for it, they would rather just hem a new bottom but if there is any distress  (like with sevens or true religons ) you lose that look and then looks like grandma did it from her living room haha. 

New guy and Cue like this

Oh I know ,my mom was a seamstress and she would do some of my pants and I hated wearing them to school, cause the looked weird,lol the good ol days 

Stephtay and Amber76bailey like this

Target has younger looking clothes in bigger sizes. Their graphic tees go up to XXL and they a lot of options depending on what he's into.. Sports stuff, superheroes, funny pop culture references, etc. Best part is the shirts are only like $10 each. I buy my boyfriend shirts there often.