rescuesu

What do you all think of the medic alert jewelry. yes, no?

18 posts in this topic

I keep reading that on the odd chance you would need a tube...the drs wouldn't see the tag til it was too late and the pouch would be damaged.I worked in the ER for years and we always looked so I don't get that...but...I don't know if I want to wear one!  I have cardiac issues that I should have been wearing one for years but I don't....I don't want the reminder....but at this point, with the addition of Gastric bypass, I am wondering if I should. what your thoughts?

i have a medical alert necklace and don't mind wearing it.  i put a long chain on it so that i can tuck it in my shirt.

I have a bracelet I wore for a while, then I got a sports band that I wear when I'm at the gym or going for a jog. I got one back while I was still out on medical after my surgery. They have some that are pretty discreet, too.

I got a pendant to wear after surgery. I put it on a very long necklace chain and tuck it under my clothing as another user said. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

Zen_Steph likes this

I wear a bracelet (a straight up medical alert bracelet - it doesn't look like a piece of jewelry).

Roux en Y (gastric bypass)
No Blind NG Tube
No NSAIDS/No Sugar
Allergies - Penicillin
Hypoglycemia

what does the blind NG tube mean??

Also they have very pretty ones if someone didn't want it to be obvious....  http://www.laurenshope.com/products/236/our-medical-id-tags-come-in-several-beautiful-colors-and-styles 

what does the blind NG tube mean??

Also they have very pretty ones if someone didn't want it to be obvious....  http://www.laurenshope.com/products/236/our-medical-id-tags-come-in-several-beautiful-colors-and-styles 

"NGT = nasogastric tube, which is a tube passed through the nose, down the throat, into the stomach, usually to clear stomach contents. 
Generally the tube is placed "blindly" (IE: no radiology imaging), after the nurse/MD does a simple measurement using anatomical landmarks. This works well for just about everyone - except our anatomy no longer matches up with the landmarks :) After GBS NG tubes should only be placed with imaging to assist".

I live in a very rural area and was warned not to buy a medic alert bracelet/necklace that looked too much like jewelry.  It should stand out for what it is.

You can get dog tag style for well under $10. Lots of sources.

Yep....I'm allergic to Penicillin too....definitely getting one

a pretty bracelet or necklace may be overlooked as just being a piece of jewelry, so be mindful of that!

I wear a road id with two plates. One plate has my emergency contact info on it and the other has the medic alert symbol and "Roux En Y, no blind NG tubing, No NSAIDS, NO Sugars" 

I run and my father was killed in an accident when he was hit by a car. While the whole situation was very scary, the thing that everyone in my family had the hardest time with was that my mom had to go looking for him/the scene of the accident because he didn't have ID. He was considered a John Doe by police. This meant that I had to identify his body and while we know it was him, his body was so damaged that I still have nightmares that it wasn't him and he was hurt somewhere else and suffering.

All that to say, if a part of your new lifestyle includes exercising, please have some kind of ID. The easiest and safest for this kind of situation is what I suggested because you get both your ID/Emergency Contact and medical info in case you can't communicate it in a an emergency. www.roadid.com I like it because it is a lightweight silicone bracelet that I can wear high on my wrist and not even realize it is there. 

TheColdestAugust likes this

I use this. It looks like jewelry but after talking with the EMT's in my community they felt it would be recognizable should something happen to me.post-49660-0-44739100-1412857677_thumb.j

Icandoit and esam5 like this

Now that I have my date, I've ordered one of the Lauren's Hope alert necklaces, plus a set of their alert cards for in my wallet. 

It never occurred to me to get something like that. Maybe because it's extremely uncommon in Germany. Never saw a patient wearing something like that.

49 minutes ago, summerset said:

It never occurred to me to get something like that. Maybe because it's extremely uncommon in Germany. Never saw a patient wearing something like that.

Very common here in Australia. Usually medical information is signed off by family doctor then gets registered nationally. The bracelets carry a unique number along with most important medical condition if. Paramedics and hospitals can then check the number against the register and get any additional information that might be held. In other words the bracelet number is also a file number so not all information needs to be etched on the small bracelet. Mind you the bracelets are costly here, plus there is a yearly fee for the registry.

Edited by Aussie H

My iPhone has it on and is accessible without unlocking it.  

Yes, I have that iPhone thing enabled as well. I'm thinking about getting one for my husband though. He has to take Xarelto.