• Announcements

    • Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

      A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About thelinesaredown

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday April 25

Profile Information

  • Gender Female
  • Location Massachusetts


  • Surgeon Dr. Julie Kim
  • Hospital Mount Auburn Hospital
  • Height (ft-in) 5-08
  • Start Weight 340
  • Goal Weight 180
  • Surgery Date 02/27/2012
  • Surgery Type Vertical Sleeve

thelinesaredown's Activity

  1. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic February Roll Call   

    Crazy we are all in the same boat! I actually have been feeling totally nauseated when I wake up every day even though i'm taking prilosec BID. I fonally spoke with the nurse manager of my program and she asked me how much water I was drinking! Well, I haven't been really keeping track of it anymore, but I am not a big drinker. Maybe ~30 oz/day? It's pitiful. After talking to her I tried to step it up last night and have been doing better with it today. up to 40 so far!
    And I still haven't measured! I need to, though! It's going on my to-do list!

  2. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Super Stubborn Stall   

    I just ended my stall of almost 2 weeks! The first 2 weeks after surgery for me the weight was falling off, then.... nothing. I mean, I usually eat around 400 cals/day with the highest days being about 600. Like, how is that possible that I am not losing weight?!
    And yes, everyone talks about it but it's so different when it happens to you.
    I think a lot of it is hormonal. And your body freaking out! Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight WILL come off. People also say measuring helps keep them motivated - I have yet to measure, even though I keep meaning to! I guess if you're not losing weight, you're losing inches.
    Oh, and add a little light weight into your schedule. I got like 5lbs dumbbells just to work on my "bat wings" lol. Hopefully I'll feel up to going to the gym soon, but not yet!
    So, just keep it up - it'll be over soon enough!
  3. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic February Roll Call   

    I'm barely over a month. (2/27) How are you all doing - especially you sleevers?!
    my 2 week stall has ended today - I'm down 4lbs since yesterday! Stalls are the weirdest thing. And I really had no idea until it happened to me.
  4. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Stall After 2 Weeks?   

    Same story here! I am 1 month post-op as of yesterday and the scale hasn't budged in over a week. I thought it was too soon for a stall, but it's comforting to know it's common. Aaah! I was freaking out. I'm eating like 600 cals/day - I just didn't -and still dont!- understand why I am not losing weight! Hopefully this insanity will end soon!

    And I've been meaning to start measuring, I just haven't... I will!
  5. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic February Roll Call   

    Had my 2 week post op today. I've lost 12 pounds since surgery! Everything looks great & is going well. I was sooooooooooo excited to CHEW something today! <3
  6. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Post Op Check-In   

    I can pretty much tolerate the same protein supplements I was taking before sx. I use Isopure LOW CARB (the zero carb is gross to me) Dutch Chocolate & mix it with light soy milk. I mix it & throw it in the freezer so it gets thick & I can eat it with a spoon.
    Another life saver for me is protein hot chocolate drinks & protein puddings, The hot chocolate has 15g protein & tastes exactly like swiss miss. You do have to drink 8 ounces of it, though.
    The puddings are great since you only have to add 4 oz water and get 15g protein. I get the Bariwise brand of both and order from http://www.bariatricchoice.com/. free shipping on $49 orders & they always send me coupons,
    If you are looking for something thinner, try the Isopure RTD 8oz. I tried the grape and it was OK, not great, but I would get it again, just not every day. http://www.bariatricchoice.com/isopure-plus-bariatric-protein-rtd.html

    good luck!
  7. thelinesaredown added a comment on a blog entry Ugh   

    Thanks guys. It's just so frustrating right now. i know you've been there & it definitely helps to hear that people have gone through the same feelings that I'm having right now.
    I don't want food to rule my life and i was doing soooo well pre-surg so i kind of dont understand why I am feeling like this now. Maybe because there is no escape?! I haven't really slept much in the past 24 hours except a little cat nap here & there. I ended up getting in 58oz with 74g protein. Not too shabby, but it was so much work! Even though I thought I prepared myself i definitely didn't know it was going to be this difficult. And I still haven't pooped so my tummy is extra bloated. If something doesnt happen soon I'm gonna have to go get some milk of mag or something.
  8. thelinesaredown added a blog entry in thelinesaredown's Blog   

    I am 3 days out and although I was feeling fine today, emotionally I am falling a little. I am missing food. I'm falling behind in my fluid intake and then end up rushing it so it feels all weird in my tummy.
    Back to the whole missing food thing. I want to eat real food.
    I'm depressed. I don't know what I'm feeling. I dont like it though. I still havent pooped. Come on, poop.
    I want to eat something crunchy.
    I want to sleep.
  9. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic February Roll Call   

    Thanks Ken & DD! I haven't pooped yet & my nurse said if nothing happens by tomorrow afternoon I need to get some milk of mag or something. I'll keep the miralax in mind, although I have been taking my colace so hopefully things will be happening in the poop department soon.
    I am not that clear on what happened, but my IRL support group has a facebook page and I started a post about my VSG and kept adding to it. There are lots and lots of typos and weirdness, obviously due to fun time medications, but it was a good way to keep track of things going on. And once I'm all healed up and feeling 100% I know I wont remember any of the discomfort I went through! But it's important for people to know the good & bad about this procedure. It made me feel so much better when people responded to my craziness telling me they went through the same thing. And my whole surgical team was awesome, they were incredibly supportive, too. I have to send some flowers over there soon.
    lovie, it does get a little easier every day, doesn't it? What a tremendous difference from a mere 24 hours ago.

    <3 Jennifer

    Oh, and I'm not even worrying about my weight right now. I'm not going to weigh myself until my 2 week post op visit. I think the weight will take care of itself if I just keep doing what I'm supposed to be doing. And no idea why they wanted to stick stuff in your butt! Even when they had trouble getting an IV in me, they said they would give the medication IM, not IB! (intra-butt-ular?)
  10. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Anyone Having Surgery 2/27/2012?   

    Gettin' our sleeve on WHAT!
  11. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Post Op Check-In   

    Me too! I am in minimal discomfort today compared to wanting to hang myself in the hospital shower room only 24 hours or so ago. And I only took 1 dose of oxycodone today.!
  12. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Post Op Check-In   

    Arggg. my post just got eaten. Anyway, I had surgery on Monday, as well! Did the VSG, though.

    I think all the smart people who do a little research and start getting support from people who have been there make the best patients. We know from everyone else's experience the faster we get up and the more walking we do, the faster we start to feel better. Same thing with the pain meds,. Everyone in my support group who stopped taking pain meds earlier felt better sooner. Everyone here is awesome & I can't tell you how valuable your support has been!
    <3 jennifer
  13. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic Anyone Having Surgery 2/27/2012?   

    Thank you, yes. I'm home now & doing well. I posted my entire experience over on the Feb board at

  14. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic February Roll Call   

    Hi guys! I made it home last night around 10PM. I went in to get my sleeve & hiatal hernia repair at 4PM on Monday. I woke up for the first time in recovery around 7:30. I was drifting in & out of consciousness until about 9. The pacu nurses were very sweet. They checked my iron shortly after 9 and as soon as they got the results, they called for transport. I got into my PRIVATE(!!) room around 10PM. My awesome bf was in my room waiting for me.
    I had a good night & I really wanted to walk even though my sx was only 4 hours ago! While they were trying to find an IV pole for me they had me sit up to use the inspirator - OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUCH! No way I could even sit up. I tried pushing myself up, pulling myself up, positioning the bed almost vertically, but it was NOT happening! I ended up pumping myself full of dilaudid and then had my bf pull me up. I didn't feel like walking after that, but at least I got to do my inspirator.
    I was in better spirits Tuesday morning and really wanted a drink, but had to wait until after my upper GI. I went in about 8 for that & they said all looked great! Made it back to my room and did a couple laps with my nurse. I got off my IV fluids at this point & got my catheter removed - woohoo!! After that they sent me up my lovely stage 2 diet. I couldn't eat anything. Even sipping water hurt so much. I think it was just from gas, but I was not being a good patient. I couldn't stand the pain of swallowing anything. This obviously led to me becoming dehydrated. I did eat a popsicle for lunch & it made my new tummy hurt soooo much. The nurse gave me a warm compress for my tummy which was a little comforting. The afternoon & rest of the evening was awful. I was crying, which made me more painful. Since I was off the fluids & dilaudid, they started giving me toradol which didn't really help. My mouth was sooo dry I had dreams about eating sand! They started adding in oxycodone 5mgs which didn't do anything for me either. I was regretting my decision, I was depressed, I just wanted to go back to my old self! I did walk laps a few more times on Tuesday but that was pretty much the only progress I made. By the evening I was due for another dose of IV toradol & some zofran. The IV, which was in my hand was getting clotted but because I felt like I was going to hurl, they pushed the zofran. It worked & no puking. I had them just push the toradol, too even though it was stinging.
    My nurse recommended replacing my IV so my old one came out. The IV nurse came in shortly after that, stayed for about 90 seconds and told me my veins were horrible, they should give me oral meds & walked out. So the rest of that night sucked. Wednesday morning sucked. I was extremely depressed and refused visitors. My surgeon came to check on me and was concerned about my lack of IV. I told her what happened & she sent in the IV nurse was was on duty at this point. She was sooooooo nice! I know I have shitty veins so I'm always really patient whenever anyone sticks me. She spent about 30-40 minutes with me, searching my arms, heating & rubbing my arms and she finally got that sucked in there! She was amazing.
    At this point I figured I was going to stay another day in the hospital and that was fine with me. I felt like death. I guess I was really dehydrated so they pumped a bolus of fluids into my newly fashioned IV. Then I got more toradol & zofran & some steroid IV. I think I got another oral dose of oxy, too. I just wanted to sleep.
    I was still trying to sip water & it hurt going down. I tried sitting up straight & walking around after drinking. I guess it helped a little. When I got back to my room they sent me up a stage 3 diet. The custard looked so good! I only ate a few bites, smooshing it around in my mouth a lot before swallowing. Still hurt. I think I went to sleep at this point.
    When I woke up, I felt like a new person! All those fluids & pain meds helped get me out of my funk. I ate an entire cup of ice in 1 hour and even had 1/2 container of chocolate pudding! I walked around a lot and felt so much better. I stated my second cup of ice & finished up my pudding. I also ate a little yogurt, but wasn't as exciting as the pudding. I ordered another pudding for dinner along with some tomato soup & chamomile tea. I sat in the chair for the remainder of the day, apart from the times when I was walking around. It didn't hurt as much to swallow so I actually got to enjoy my tomato soup - I think it was the best soup I ever had! LOL.
    When I told my bf I was ready to go home he was so apprehensive since the last time he saw me I was crying hysterically and hating my life. He was totally amazed when he came to pick me up! what a difference a day can make, huh?!
    Sorry this is so long - i write like I talk - too much! I'm home now & really tracking my fluids & protein. I feel so much more comfortable it's incredible. I haven't even taken any narcotics today (yet!) I'm due for my alieve at 11 so I'm trying to hold out on any pain meds until then. I took all my other meds (pepcid, levsin, zofran & 1/2 my blood pressure med) Sitting here now watching some trashy TV sipping on my Bariwise hot chocolate.
    I must say, i know I didn't post here while I was in the hospital, but I was posting on my hospital's facebook support group and they were amazing. It really is all about SUPPORT! I know I wouldn't have made it through without them, and of course you all.
    Thanks so much!

    Oh, and it still all seems surreal! Crazy!

    <3 Jennifer
  15. thelinesaredown added a post in a topic VSG Tomorrow!   

    Thanks guys! I will definitely keep posting.

    Thanks for all your support!